This Badge represented the 172nd Infantry Battalion. The Battalion was raised in the Kamloops area of British Columbia, with mobilization headquarters at Kamloops under the authority of G.O. 69, July 15, 1916. The Battalion sailed October 25, 1916 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.R. Vicars with a strength of 32 officers and 972 other ranks. In England, the Battalion was absorbed into the 24th Reserve Battalion. It was disbanded on September 15, 1920.